Re: Re: Re: 4V Eb vs. 5V F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 11, 2002 at 13:43:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: 4V Eb vs. 5V F posted by AW on October 11, 2002 at 12:26:10:

Beats me. Of the tubas in my collection, the 20J has the best preferred tones, followed closely by the York Master and more distantly by the Miraphone 186. I have two F tubas, one hacked from an ancient Eb, and the other a slightly smaller Yamaha 621. The Yamaha's false tones are poor at best, and are blown away both in sound quality and quantity using the additional valves and a higher partial. The pedal F on the Yamaha is rich and powerful--nothing like the notes that it produces when I'm trying to find the preferred tones. The hacked horn's low range is poor on the Eb through Db just beneath the staff, but it sounds good on the fourth-valve low C and down a few notes below that. I seem to recall Fred Young mentioning that the preferred tones differed on narrower-bored instruments, but I don't remember exactly what he said.

The Eb monster basses were known for good preferred tones.

Therefore, it would seem that larger horns with faster tapers have preferred tones that are easier to access and blend with the regular notes on the instrument.

Rick "working from a small sample" Denney

Follow Ups: