Re: Re: Repair question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on October 11, 2002 at 11:28:44:

In Reply to: Re: Repair question posted by Dave Erickson on October 10, 2002 at 22:38:15:

Taking the dents out of instruments is nothing like making something from scratch. It is an art unto itself. Some have the "feel" for it and others will never get it. (my opinion only)

If you were to take an instrument apart and send it to someone to de-dent, the parts would not fit together when you got it back. Why? Depending on the method of dent removal (by hand only or with a dent machine), a bow will bend in on itself when dents are removed. (I'm sure there is a good physics related reason. From experience I just know that's what happens.) Now when you go to put the horn back together, nothing will fit right and you will get to exercise aerobically a great deal.

Good soldering is also an "art". The best soldering requires the best preparation and is done with a great deal of skill. There will be a nice bead of solder extending all the way along the joint and after cleaning will appear very smooth and steady - no gaps or globs.

Good luck with the learning process. I'm sure you'll have fun.

Follow Ups: