Re: Re: Repair question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on October 11, 2002 at 11:19:47:

In Reply to: Re: Repair question posted by Dave Erickson on October 10, 2002 at 22:38:15:

It's not horribly difficult to learn how to do repairs. I learned from an older retired guy who built many of his own tools. I think that Daryl up in Redmond WA has a quickie class for non-pros on repair.

A magnet and ball bearing isn't going to remove dents in a small tube--the magnet trick is useful primarily for large branches. For small branches, the usual is dent balls and rods. Once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty fast.

You do need to make an investment in the right tools, but sometimes you can sniff these out by asking around. I picked up a set of large tuba dent balls from a fellow in his 80's who used to run an instrument rental business. I paid $50 for them, and he threw in three flutes and a trombone. For small branches, I've got an old set of Erick Brand dent balls. Not state of the art, but they do the job.

For bell work, a "Fast Eddie" roller is indispensible if you don't want to fork out the big bucks for a dent machine. Dollies and hammers used by the auto body trade are very useful after they've been shaped and polished.

Ingenuity counts for a lot. I take apart bottom bows by putting them on a propane barbeque set on low heat. Close the lid and wait until you hear the guard wire fall off. Works great.

Follow Ups: