Re: Re: 5 valve BBb Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on October 07, 2002 at 22:43:43:

In Reply to: Re: 5 valve BBb Tubas posted by Art H on October 07, 2002 at 22:27:24:

I agree with everything you've said so well. I just wanted to add that the 5th valve on the F. Schmidt (VMI) tuba is usually, if not always, configured as a flat whole step. There are other 5th valve options, particularly on the Cerveny's, but the flat whole step seems to be the most common and useful. You can think of it as like another 1st valve that can be tuned a quarter step or more lower than usual. This would allow you to add the extra tubing to bring otherwise sharp low notes into tune. For example, on my 4 valve I have to play a low Eb as 1-2-4, rather than 1-4, because 1-4 is just too sharp and 1-2-4 is easily lipped up. On a 5 valve it could be played 4-5 in tune. As already mentioned, it would also allow you to play the other notes below low F chromatically down to the pedal BBb.

That said, I have never encountered a piece where I needed a 5th valve on a BBb tuba. The only tuba that I have tried on which the 5th valve didn't negatively impact playability was the Miraphone 1291. I have preferred any of the F. Schmidt/VMI 3301s that I have played to the 3302s.

Follow Ups: