Re: Re: Re: Long Distance Running and Tuba Playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on October 07, 2002 at 18:42:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Long Distance Running and Tuba Playing posted by Rick Denney on October 07, 2002 at 15:10:56:

You're correct that trying to forcefully exhale through the tuba produces the wrong product (or sound). However, forcefully blowing through a device designed for that purpose has the effect of training the lungs to control the flow of air at a high volume. The inhalation segment strengthens the diaphram which allows the individual to take in greater qurntities of air. That has been my experience with the Power Lung thus far.

If I could reasonably expect to use 85% of my lung capacity all the time, I would not need anything to help expand that. As I have gotten older, I see a trend to not be able to breathe as deeply (the research says about 40-50% of the lung capacity). That translates to less air to use playing the tuba. Having played the tuba professionally for 30+ years, I am constantly playing. Practicing very hard helps with deep breathing, but how often will I, or anyone else, do that on a regular basis?

I tried out the breathing device out of curiosity only. I was surprised by its' ability to help, the same way I was surprised by a heavy top mouthpiece to make a dramatic difference in the sound of the instrument. If a "tool" will help make me a better player, then it might work for someone else. Who knows, it might help you too?

David "who would rather buy music and play it than buy tools" Wilson

Follow Ups: