Re: Re: Long Distance Running and Tuba Playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on October 07, 2002 at 11:56:01:

In Reply to: Re: Long Distance Running and Tuba Playing posted by Alan Herold on October 07, 2002 at 09:30:02:

When I moved this summer and had nothing else to do, I began a training regimen that started with walk-run, and eventually I began to run, working up to about 2 miles. (this is temporarily suspended however, because I broke my ankle.) When I started the running, I made an effort to actually concentrate on deeper breathing, realizing that oxygen was what was going to make me "feel good." Those endorphs were working to fight depression... then I transferred this over to my tuba playing, and surprisingly, the same principle applied. Playing heavy practice sessions where obviously I did a lot of breathing began to make me feel "happy..." I randomly laugh while playing, because it feels good. This was a new experience for me, as I never really got the true enjoyment from my playing until this air got in line... so my cross traning involved running and tuba playing, and I am more physically fit and feel better as a result!

So I think that the story is if one is not lazy (as I used to be always), the two activiities can benefit one another physiologically. This depression fighting endorphin idea is part of my research now... tuba playing is physical exercise, and it can (in some forms) be a feel good thing! It's amazing.

-lisa

Follow Ups: