Re: PT15 vs PT16

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by funderburk on October 23, 2001 at 10:15:01:

In Reply to: PT15 vs PT16 posted by LV on October 21, 2001 at 09:24:52:

It is true that the most obvious difference between the 15 and the 16 is the layout of the valve group including the addition of the 6th valve, however, this is no small difference. The overall resistance of the instrument is significantly impacted. We usually think of resistance as a negative thing, but this is not necessarily so. I have tested these instruments extensively and used them both in concerts. For me, the PT16 is a significantly better instrument than the 15. I find that the overall consistency of response throughout the registers if much nicer on the 16. Don't get me wrong, the 15 is also a first rate instrument, but if you really spend significant time playing both, I believe that you will notice the differences. I found the stability of the low register particularly at extreme dynamics to be better on the 16. In addition, for my ear, the 16s that I played seemed sweeter in overall sound than the 15. I personally much preferred the gold brass version of the 16. The issue of the valve arrangement should be minor. If one spends a bit of time practicing, it becomes comfortable relatively quickly. Also, the addition of the 6th valve gives MANY additional alternate fingering possibilities that can often make intonation issues or passage work easier.

Good luck, you are looking at 2 very fine instruments.

Follow Ups: