Re: Re: OK, I did it - update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve C on October 20, 2001 at 17:40:57:

In Reply to: Re: OK, I did it - update posted by Barry Guerrero on October 20, 2001 at 04:00:16:

One of the points Joe has been making is that these are not exactly the same on the inside. How can you compare to different mouthpieces and expect the noted result to be caused by the weight added on the outside? One the inside, these two mouthpieces are different (I am not familiar enough with both to tell what they are, but I do know the H4 is a V shape cup, and I believe most of the Bach are U shaped cup).
The results of "heavy" versus "normal" mouthpieces can't truly be determined unless both mouthpieces are EXACTLY the same on the inside, otherwise you are trying to distinguish what results are being caused by the interior difference, and what is supposedly being cause by the exterior difference.
So my question is, how do you know, definitively, that the results you experienced are caused by the extra mass, when the insides of these two mouthpieces (Bach 7 and CH H4) are different? You really don't. Just because they feel similar around the mouth, this does not mean they have the same cup shape, depth, throat size, back-bore size. And on top of this, there are the tapered areas to each, so even if some of the measurements line up, there way one mouthpiece tapers from, say, cup to throat can be different. There are MANY things that make a mouthpiece other than just the rim.
Well, I'm gone, horn is waiting to be played today (On a regular weight mouthpiece)
Steve C

Follow Ups: