Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OK, I did it - update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on October 20, 2001 at 01:23:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: OK, I did it - update posted by Greg Crider on October 20, 2001 at 00:43:57:

One of my students at the University of Mississippi bought an R&S mouthpiece because he thought it "looked rad". I played it and thought (although to my PERSONAL [personal being the key word] taste the interior funnel was deeper than what I would want to deal with) it to be a fine mouthpiece. I thought nothing whatsoever, however, about the big "can' shape of its exterior. In summary, that mouthpiece is very good, it is very BIG, and it sounds like you're using it very well. However, you aren't vibrating the tuba. Rather, you are vibrating a column of air.

I've refinished my favorite F tuba mouthpiece at least three times over the past quarter of a century. Certainly, when removing boo-boo's from the rim, the rim shape is not only not quite exactly what it was when I first had Schilke fabricate it, but the rim is surely a tiny bit distorted, too, being that buffing is certainly not any proper way to keep anything cymmetrical. However, each time I get the mouthpiece back from being newly gold plated, its FINE. The cup, throat, and backbore are the same and the rim is JUST ABOUT the same. I think sometimes, we worry too much about little things. I know I'm guilty of that regarding many things...just not my mouthpiece (as long as I don't LOSE the d-m- thing!).

Joe "One of my favorite quotes was from a soon-to-retire principal bassoonist who stated to a critical maestro in front of the entire orchestra during a rehearsal: I've played a lot worse for a lot better conductors" S.

Follow Ups: