Re: Re: OK, I did it - update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bruce h on October 19, 2001 at 10:24:28:

In Reply to: Re: OK, I did it - update posted by Jay Bertolet on October 19, 2001 at 08:15:21:

I have exeriemented a little with mouthpieces and have detected very little difference to absolutly no difference between size and weight and how the horn sounds. The thing that seems to make the most difference to me is the rim of the mouthpiece. I like a slightly rounded rim. It's more comfortable for me to play on.

Granted, I have not played on every single MP out there but I can't see how a heavyweight MP would make very much, if any, difference. Tuba MP's are already pretty darn big. My MP of choice right now is a Miraphone TU33. It is a pretty heavy MP with a round cup. I also have a Marcinkiewicz MP that is lighter. They play and feel the same to me and I think it is because they have very similar rims. I have a conn-helleberg MP which is lighter in weight than the other 2 MP's. The rim on the Helleberg is much flatter and I don't like it as much but my rather primitive ears still can't tell the difference in the sound.

I think the weight of the horn probably has much more of an effect on the sound than the MP ever would. I have a 186 BBb horn and I just acquired a new Besson 982 Eb horn that was given to me for almost free. But that's another story. The Besson is a smaller horn, with a larger bell, than the 186 but it is about 2 pounds heavier. The Besson is built like a tank and the metal is thicker. The Besson is also silver plated which probably makes a difference in the sound. I really like the sound of the Besson. The sound is more focused and centered than on the 186. Once I master the new fingerings it will become my gig horn of choice.

I'm still not sure that the MP makes that much of a difference in sound but it is cheaper to buy mouthpieces than it is to buy tubas.

Follow Ups: