Re: OK, I did it - update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pete Krill on October 19, 2001 at 09:25:09:

In Reply to: OK, I did it - update posted by js on October 18, 2001 at 23:50:59:

I have to disagree with your conclusions regarding the comparison of the Concert Hall version of the Marcinkiewicz H-1 Mouthpiece, and the standard version. I had a custom Concert Hall H-1 Mouthpiece made about a year ago, and also have a standard version, and they do play differently. I can't say one is "better than the other" but they seem to suit different horns better than other horns. These differences don't necessarily fit a certain pattern. For example, I've owned two different Miraphone 188's, and the standard H-1 mouthpiece worked better on one of them; the Concert Hall version worked better on the other. These horns do have different size leadpipes and receivers. It seems to me that the Empirical method, ie "Trial and Error", works best for determining which mouthpiece one should use on a particular tuba for a particular purpose.

Another example, which I can cite, is the Tuba Exchange Marcinkiewicz Rose Model mouthpiece. I have both the standard model and the Concert Hall (Professional) Model. I find the standard model unusable on any of my horns (It seems too big and unfocused). But the Concert Hall model, which I use on my Meinl Weston 2000, is focused and responsive. Go figure!

Follow Ups: