Re: Re: "laying back" -versus- "relaxation"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on October 18, 2001 at 15:11:27:

In Reply to: Re: "laying back" -versus- "relaxation" posted by Rick Denney on October 18, 2001 at 11:52:26:

Rick,
I have done the transformation back from the "relax and let the horn work" instruments to a more effort requirning horn. Why? Because I feel for my playing, the MW32 I now have is far more versitile than my old york-a-like. Even without factoring in the size difference, my old Mel Culbertson (which I thought was a fine horn) did not have enough variety in color, sound, and articulation for my current practicing habits. If I were still in the 4 hour a day routine the 6/4 would have been fine. Even in large band situations the horn still did what I wanted. However, I wanted a "do-all" type horn in CC and the MW32 seemed to be the best. When I switched back I felt myself reverting to my old "Miraphone" approach to playing. This was ok at first, but I was having too many pitch discrepancies that weren't consistent. I analized what I was doing and I had decided that the big horn had made me develop a very wide airstream. When I went to the "miraphone" approach I was simply over-mucsling the horn. I relaxed the airstream and used the same ideaology with the MW32 and the results were astounding. The sound was more even register to register. The projection was immense, and the horn had a commanding voice. The intonation became remarkably better also. Granted the horn had good qualities in these areas allready, but the better approach accented them. I can almost get as much presence out of this horn as I did the 6/4, but I can slice through an ensemble any time I want. To me the sound is more melodic. I would like to hear your comments and see if you would experience the same things if and when you used the new found "relax and play" concepts on your Miraphone. I'm almost 100% sure you will see a better image of what you felt your Miraphone was capable of.

Matt G

p.s. This does take a lot of de-programming to get the more aggresive (at least that is the way I feel it seems) approach of playing the "german" style 4/4 rotary tubas out of one's head.

Follow Ups: