Kalison DS vs. 56J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Cary on October 18, 2001 at 10:51:03:

I have been playing a Kalsion DS for about the last 6 years; this horn replaces a Mirafone 186-5U that I had used for about 10 years. I have been thinking of changing horns for a while, and the horn that has caught my eye is the 56J. The question that I have regards the sizing difference between the horns. The Kalison appears to be a bit taller, and does have a larger bore (.750). Most of the playing that I do is with a local community group (about 80 members, 4-5 tubas), and some large church orchestras (which are paying gigs). The Kalison seems to be able to fill the hall fairly well, and seems to project better than the Mirafones in the groups I am in. I like the sound of the Kalison, but it does require so pitch-tinkering, especially as it is the only CC in my band - the rest a BB Flats and and E Flat). My director likes the sound of the Kalison also. Will the 56J be able to project and put out as much power as a Kalison, and how is the scale on the 56J? I know a lot of people have opinions on Kalisons, but I would prefer to hear from those who have hands-on experience with them and have also tried the new Conns. Thanx!

Follow Ups: