Re: Re: Re: Re: Conn or King!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on October 17, 2001 at 17:59:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Conn or King! posted by The Answer Man on October 17, 2001 at 17:16:40:

The answer, man, would have been true in any standard case!

But in the RD situation YMMV means:

York Master: My Validation.

From one of the 2 other confessed YM owners on the board (JS is the third).

Klaus

PS: For me tubaism is not a matter of testoterone strutting. It is a matter of beauty, fulness, and foundation in an ensemble. RD is true in the statement, that the YM is a good instrument for that purpose. I do not think, that the room-wrapping-sound-quality of the YM is an overwhelming, not even a covering-up, quality. One of the bad habits of my conducting past is that I listen very analytically to the happenings in the ensemble. The sound character of the YM never made it impossible for me to know what the 2nd flute or the 3rd cornet played (but sometimes the 3rd cornet blurred my hearing of the 2nd flute).

This said I must confess, that the YM is my "small" BBb. My Conn 40K, despite its smaller .732" bore (the YM is a .750" instrument) is even fuller and warmer. Hence even less agressive. Something that must be attributed to the heavy brass sheets, that the 40K is made out of. No hydraulic pressure forming to be found in a 1927 Conn.

PPS: This posting is as much, if not even more, a reply to other postings in other running threads. That it landed here is an arbitrary choice of mine.

Follow Ups: