Re: A small rant…

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MattG on October 17, 2001 at 06:27:39:

In Reply to: A small rant… posted by Bob Joles on October 17, 2001 at 01:46:02:

Bob,
Do you have a website that lists what you have arranged for brass quintet? I am in the process of forming a quintet. I just parted with about $500 for music, but if I see something that looks like I could use it asap, I would pick it up. I actually have heard your quintet before (I used to live in Orlando) and I know that the arrangements are of good performing quality. I might also be interested in the Disney (uugh) stuff for some springtime and pops type programs. If a website is not available, if you could email me a list that would also be great.
I agree about your rant. I did just take money out of my pocket for quintet music for a quintet that doesn't even exist yet. However, when I can get one up and running, an I will, I will earn the money back. Quality arrangements that make the ensemble sound good and are of contemporary music pave the way for your group to have more money. I just paid $40 for an arrangement of West Side Story and I thought it was a fine deal. $25 for a medley of Disney tunes might help seal the deal for someone to come up and ask you to do their next function. Not everyone wants to hear the same barouqe/renaissance stuff from a bras quintet. If you are hired, then that $25 has easily paid itself back. It is a basic property of business: you must spend money to make money. Unfortunately, a lot of us do free or volunteer type stuff and the money is purelt out of pocket. But, compare that to any other serious "hobby" and the investment to value return is on the same level.

Matt G

Follow Ups: