Re: Meinl Weston 32

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on October 15, 2001 at 15:33:52:

In Reply to: Meinl Weston 32 posted by bruce h on October 15, 2001 at 09:32:02:

Bruce,
I am a current owner of a MW-32. I bought mine new last March (I think) at Dillon's. I enjoy this horn very much and find it an excellent all-purpose type horn. It has a slightly different characteristic sound than the 2145/2155. Also, the rotary valves are much more stress free on the hands. The projection on the one I picked is outstanding and with the three mouthpieces I use on it (Dillon G3, G3B, and M1C) the horn can vary in character a good degree. I use the G3B most of the time as it has a lot of power and depth but can be still handles with a light touch. If I were playing in a big group and/or doing a lot of low work, the M1C really lets the bottom end project as well as any tuba can. I have owned a Miraphone 186 and a 188 and I find that this horn has a more centered present sound that doesn't break up near as easily. Matt Walters orders them with nickel silver leadpipes which helps get the response up to a Miraphone type feel. He also orders them with a londer tuning slide to get the horn closer to A440. I have found a set point for all of the slides that puts the center of every note in a four octave scale within 5-7 cents of dead-on perfect intonation. That is about as good as you can ask for. I feel confident with using this horn in a medium sized orchestra or wind ensemble/band by myself (I have) and using it with quintet. Dave Fedderly has some in stock according to his web page and Dillon's usually tries to keep some in stock.
Compared to the 2145 I think the 32 has a little more breadth in the sound and more projection. The 2145 is an excellent horn and has a very clean precise sound. The 32 sounds more like a true 4/4 German tuba. The only gripe I have with the 2145/2155/2165/2000 is the hand position can get a little tiring after awhile. Other than that I think most of Meinl-Weston's line is a very safe bet and a good value for the money.

Matt G

Follow Ups: