Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 things...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on October 10, 2001 at 21:34:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: 2 things... posted by Tom B. on October 10, 2001 at 19:50:46:

FWIW, I have always played Kings. U of OK bought 18 new silver-satins in about 1992. They weren't nearly the horns that they replaced, which were also King silver-satins. The old ones (c. 1970) had leaky valves and were showing the effects of 20+ years of college marching band. The new ones were much thinner and lighter. Incredibly easy to honk and get blatty. Also very easy to dent, and the quality was suspect-the MOP insets in the valve caps were falling out before the first game, and braces were popping every week.

The Conn's (20K's) that I've played are much different animals. Bigger bore, thicker brass, somewhat different wrap. And much harder to overblow.

My choice for a H.S. band would be 20K's. But as I stated earlier, I AM talking about a purchase to be made by the band boosters. This school is in a county that provides only 1% of the band's annual operating budget. The policy in this county is that you only get new instruments from the district when you get a new building. There are schools in this county that are playing (literally) 40-year-old sousaphones.

SD

Follow Ups: