Re: Mouthpiece Woes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dw on October 10, 2001 at 12:17:31:

In Reply to: Mouthpiece Woes posted by Larry Zaidan on October 10, 2001 at 10:17:42:

I think this is why we all end up with a collection of mouthpieces. Not profound by any means, just the truth.

Honestly, a mouthpiece which comes with an instrument was not necessarily designed for it. Most manufacturers have a "stock" mouthpiece that they throw in with each model of instrument. (Did you know that the most popular mouthpiece Bach sells for the tenor trombone is the 6 1/2 A and not the 6 1/2 AL? because the 6 1/2 A is put in every case!!!) I have yet to find a mouthpiece which came with a horn that I was comfortable with.

In the past year, I purchased 5 mouthpieces to find the one that I liked the best for my horn (Meinl Weston 2000). I read a little about each mouthpiece, then bought each one and spent some time with it. I could give you the run down on how each played, but it will all be different for you and your horn. Talk to some people you respect, get the opinions, and then start experimenting.

In answer to the question of what did I try and what did I end up with: I started with a Dillon G5, then a couple of Perantucci's, a Parke-Ofenloch (altered the shank to fit the horn), then tried a Monette 94. None of them was particularly bad, the characteristics I was looking for just weren't there until the Monette.

just my opinion

Follow Ups: