Re: time off between undergrad and grad?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles D. Ortega on October 09, 2001 at 12:41:20:

In Reply to: time off between undergrad and grad? posted by foolish youngster on October 08, 2001 at 23:38:58:

I did my undergrad in the 5+ year plan. It was great because I was able to study with a good teacher, and play in great ensembles. But after all that time, I knew I wanted a break. So, I went to work doing something else, but still involved in music. I subbed in groups, and I played a bit. But I didn't have the time, and to be honest, the inclination to practice 4 hours a day on top of that. The regular money (which by America's standards was below normal) was GREAT, and oh yeah, no homework...it was a great three years off...

But I noticed the desire to get back in to academia and there were some things I wanted to pursue that I didn't in my undergrad, so I started thinking about going back for a Masters.

There were three things that I wanted to have for grad school. 1) a teacher who is out there doing what I want to do - orchestral playing 2) a good example to listen to, i.e. a top orchestra in the general area. 3) it had to be free.

I was lucky enough to find all that I wanted in one school, and close enough to my family to be able to see them. I am in grad school now, so it can be done.

The other thing, and this is just and aside is, I have a wife who is a public school teacher (and no, she NEVER played flute) so that regular money is still coming in, and that is great! So my advice is, GET MARRIED TO SOMEONE WITH A REAL JOB... (just kidding...)

But I must say I am glad that I have a wife who is 1) outside of music and 2) has a regular job with steady money and good benefits.

All this is to say, taking time off, can be good and bad. I was lucky enough to get back to school without too many wounds to heal...

my 2 cents

cdo

Follow Ups: