Re: Adrenalin

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob on October 07, 2001 at 01:01:22:

In Reply to: Adrenalin posted by Rick Denney on October 03, 2001 at 15:17:14:

Rick -

As a guy who subbed in with you on that 'American in Paris' Concert last year, I can say you did a fine job. And I wouldn't worry about the all-Tchaikovsky concert either.

My wife (an oboe player) and I often discuss nerves and playing. When I was a sophmore at the University of Maryland, I was tabbed to play a solo (w/piano) on a Tuba Ensemble concert. While waiting offstage to go play, Brian Bowman (then the Euphonium teacher at Maryland) asked me if I was nervous. I told him I was. He asked me if I thought being nervous would help me give a better performance. I thought for a second and told him no, I didn't think it would. A split second later I realized I could decide to NOT be nervous, even though I really was, and even if I was, I wouldn't let it affect my playing. From that moment on, I never had a problem with nerves getting in the way of my music. I never studied with Dr. Bowman but in less than a minute he gave me a lesson I still swear by 15 years later.

Cal Ripken played his last game tonight and was asked if he got neverous while at bat. He said no, he was excited to be there, and was concentrating really hard on doing his absolute best.

My point is, try and focus on the task at hand, and if you feel yourself getting nervous, it's ok. Just choose to not let it bother you. If you've put in the work and prepared, have faith in yourself and just go out and do what you already know you can do.

- Rob

Follow Ups: