Re: Study Tuba at Univ. of FL?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil Hawkins on October 05, 2001 at 14:30:14:

In Reply to: Study Tuba at Univ. of FL? posted by Ryan on October 05, 2001 at 11:09:03:

Ryan, It seems that so much emphasis today is put upon the need to study with a great tuba player at ones early stages of musical development. If there is one thing I have learned through the years is that great tuba playing and great teaching do not necessarily go hand and hand. Especially at the fundamental to intermediate levels. Great tuba players do not necessarily make great teachers. Conversely, great teachers are not necessarily great players. As a freshman in college, I once heard a saxophonist doing vocalizes on his instrument. He possessed such an incredibly human sounding nature that I asked if I could take a lesson from him. He was so taken back about the idea of a tuba player wanting to take a lesson that he consented. His name was Sigurd Rascher. One of the greats, if not the greatest classical player of the instrument. It was the best single lesson I have ever taken from any person my entire career. Gail Robertson is a very gifted player as well as a fine musician and person. Her students that I have had contact with have nothing but good things to say about her methodology. Besides this, they all show a real enthusiasm for the instrument, something I can’t always say of all students that have studied with some of the more renowned players. There are also a number of very fine tuba players within a couple of hours of Gainesville that you could also study part time with. The University of Florida is a very accredited school with a very fine college of education. If music will be your major remember, it is said that less than one-tenth of a percent of all tuba majors end up actually making a living performing entirely on their instrument That’s less than 1 in a 1000. The close proximity of the college could really make a win-win situation for you. Best of luck in the pursuit of your education. Phil Hawkins

Follow Ups: