Re: Playing "in the zone"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dw on October 04, 2001 at 09:31:43:

In Reply to: Playing "in the zone" posted by Ian Easton on October 04, 2001 at 01:36:51:

Not such a strange post as you might imagine.

To me, playing "in the zone" has less to do with the technical aspects and more to do with 'making music'. Too many people are concerned with what the tongue does or what the air stream does or what the fingers are doing at any given moment to truly find "the zone". The zone to me is when you let go and just make music.

I also find it much more difficult to achieve this in a large ensemble setting versus a quintet or solo setting. In the large ensemble there is a tendency to rely on the conductor to set the tone or mood at any given time. In an intimate ensemble (brass quintet, as an example) or solo performance, you will "know" when you achieve it. Just my opinion, but solo performances with or without piano acc. are the easiest to achieve this feeling.

I believe Arnold Jacobs refers to the feeling in some of the published clinics (on his CD for example) as playing for the sound, the phrase, and making music. He really never referred to "just being a tuba player".

Most truly great musicians, besides tuba players, may be great technicians but first and foremost are musicians. I believe that's the real reason we listen to them.

Follow Ups: