Re: EEb - Why doesn't anyone talk about ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Szkutko on October 04, 2001 at 00:10:45:

In Reply to: EEb - Why doesn't anyone talk about ... posted by Tony Classen on October 03, 2001 at 23:02:24:

The 2141 is a relitavely new(ish) horn. Initially it had a couple of quirks (nothing new in a tuba). While it is mid priced for a "pro" Eb horn (between a 983 and Willson) sales never really took off. (Tha i know of)

The Besson 983 on the other hand (released probably about the same time or a bit earlier) has had a huge marketing push. For starters, a world class Soloist uses it all the time, Pat Sheridan. Here in Australia, just about every brass band propaganda had adverts for the 983 and 993 tubas. Probably was the same elsewhere too. Lots of people have already purchased a 983 so this is probably why it comes up in conversation so often.

While I never played one, I did seriously consider it for my Eb tuba. It was way cheaper than the Willson plus I liked the way Meinl Westons play (I've played a 2145, 2165 (for 2 minutes) and a 45). Due to "other" circumstances I received a 983 instead.

Follow Ups: