Re: Re: Re: Re: Eb tuba for a brass band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Solms on October 03, 2001 at 15:31:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Eb tuba for a brass band posted by OH Dear on October 03, 2001 at 14:28:38:

Like I said, you can use an F tuba. I think you would find life much more pleasant with an EEflat or CC. I recommend the following test to determine if an F tuba is "brass band ready."

Step 1. Play a Bflat major scale, starting on the Blfat below the bass staff, in half notes at about quarter note=80. Drop a step and play an Aflat major scale the same way, then a Gflat major scale. Can you get consistent good sound and response in those keys and in that range? Can you find fingerings to play all those notes in tune? You are going to be playing a lot of those low Bflats and Aflats in particular. Now try the same three scales in eighth notes at quarter=120. Can you play them without tying your fingers into knots? You are going to encounter a lot of music in these keys.

Step 2. If you answered yes to all the above questions, repeat step 1 using an EEflat or CC. Did it sound better? Was it easier?

I guess the real question here is not whether you CAN play this music on an F. It's whether you are going to take away some of the fun by working a lot harder than you have to.

Follow Ups: