Re: Miraphone 190 BBb questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on October 02, 2001 at 14:42:33:

In Reply to: Miraphone 190 BBb questions posted by Steve Inman on October 02, 2001 at 08:38:38:

I played on a 190 CC many years ago and I remember it very well. In many ways, it was a pretty nice horn. Your specification facts are accurate, as near as I remember. It did play with a very large sound but I felt there was a certain deadness to the sound, something very un-live about it. The one that I played had pretty good intonation and a huge sound. However, I also noticed that it tended to break up at the louder dynamics. I found this unusual because this horn also didn't have that great feel and response at the mouthpiece that Miraphone tubas usually have. I figured trading that response for the bigger sound would be logical but then the sound starts to break up if you push the horn. This made no sense to me. I think this horn would definitely be too big for quintet usage. I agree with others who posted that this horn was an attempt by Miraphone to enter the large tuba market and that other examples of 5/4 rotary valved tubas were much better overall. This is probably why they're not made anymore.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: