Re: Re: Yamaha sousaphones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on October 02, 2001 at 10:19:39:

In Reply to: Re: Yamaha sousaphones posted by Rob P-M on October 02, 2001 at 08:21:15:

I played a Yamaha souzie for 3 years in college. The latter two years I was section leader so I had pick of the horns when I went in over the summer to check the horns out and send 'em in for repairs if they were needed. Out of 15 horns, I found one that I really liked. The F right below the staff was about 20 cents sharp, but everything else was very close and easily lippable. One of the best fiberglass souzies I have ever played was a Yamaha that Disney owned and I used it for parades. The horn had a first valve slide you could pull and the horn sounded decent for fancy plastic. A great deal of the yamaha's are sub-par, but some are quite good. They moved the leadpipe placement in the mid '90's and I didn't care too much for that. They did get a bit heavier as it seemed to me that the old ones felt a bit lighter than the newer ones. Possibly it has something to do with the fact that some of the older ones were from when yamaha was pushing into the brass souzie market as I think that they had fiberglass only until the late '80's. However, I don't think that the Yamaha's are as heavy as the old 20k's. I do think that they are more painful however because of the way that one bw cuts into the shoulder. The Conn's combat this with a plate that seem to distribute this pressure more evenly, making it a whole lot more comfortable. Taking this cue I managed to get those pads that strap onto that bow and this seem to distribute the pressure a little better. Please note that this cushion doesn't seem to do squat for shock asorbtion though. I did note when we got the "second generation" yamaha's in with the different angle leadpipe that the F below the staff was better, but a whole new world of problems appeared that seemed to do with sound, response and intonation. Remember, this is only my observations with my chops and that I think that souzies vary much more in playability than "regular" tubas do. Possibly it has something to do with the size and shape of the horn??

Overall:
Most yamaha souzies are servicable, but generally there are better horns to be had as Rob has mentioned like the King and the Conn. Personally I think Conn has the secret formula and hasn't really let go of it for sousaphone's. I think the Yamaha is in the same neighborhood as the 20K pricewise. I had a yamaha that was almost as good as any Conn, but it was the best out of 15 that I had access to. But, in general a Conn is a much better investment.
In regards to Yamaha, as well as Selmer, LeBlanc, Boosey, UMI, and others not publishing there prices. They do this to protect themselves and their vendors. They can create price fluctuations (positive and negative) much easier, and most important, it makes you call and actually talk to someone about the horn. This way a good salesperson could possibly talk you into a trial period to try the horn out, send you a catalog or information on the horn, or some other way of selling you a horn. I personally don't mind to call and find out if I really am interested in a horn.

Matt G

Follow Ups: