Re: Characteristics of a piggy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark F. on October 02, 2001 at 06:50:38:

In Reply to: Characteristics of a piggy posted by Ian Easton on October 02, 2001 at 02:55:33:

I love my piggy. it's not going to put out as much sound as a 2155 or other 5/4 horns but it has a nice responce and great range, high and low. Never seen another tuba that plays so easily in the extream high and low registers. yes, it would make a good jazz horn, but remember they don't project as well as some other brands. monsterweights help these horns a lot, as it gives them a core and depth to the sound that most people say is missing. Do a search for "Monsterweights" and you will read many posts of people who agree with me.
As for the modifications, here is a list:

1. took off the bow, and resoldered it using much more solder than the factory used, (which was next to none) It made a huge
difference in the way the bell sounds. the sound is much cleaner, and does not break up at loud volumes anymore.

2. Added a bell ring made out of brass rods. Not much sound difference, but it does make the bell stronger.

3. Mouthpiece adapter, keeps the bach MP I play on from falling into the leadpipe.

4. Angled the valves by adding different sized coins to the first two valves, swapped the 3rd and 4th valve spatulas, Did this to
combat carpel tunnel

5. Braced the 4th valve tubing away from the bow, and added a brass rod bent and shaped the full length of the tubing to
protect it against getting beat up.

6. put on a set of monsterweights (best thing I ever did)

7. Added a trigger to adjust the 2nd valve slide. Works great! easy and cheap.

8. Made a set of 4th valve extentions that make the 4th valve play a f# by itself, only use these on songs that call for a low D or
C#. (once in a blue moon, but nice to have when you need them)

9. Custom linkage made from hobby shop parts. Could not be happier with how this turned out.

10. removed the lacquer from the bell and bow. took the edge of the sound.

all of these changes are small, but I just like experimenting. I call my horn my "guinea" piggy, and am not afraid to try anything
as long as it is reversible. My horn my be "tricked up", but it plays very nice.

e-mail me if you have any other questions.

Mark

Follow Ups: