Re: CC Horn Needed! LA Area…

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale Phelps on October 27, 2000 at 01:52:11:

In Reply to: CC Horn Needed! LA Area… posted by Benjamin Schardt on October 26, 2000 at 23:56:05:

If you are shopping for an instrument, I have a pretty special CC Bohm & Meinl,
which regretfully I am considering selling - after being urged to do so by my teacher.
4-piston, 1-long whole-step rotor, .750" bore 20" bell, great valves, very good scale
and really good low-notes. This is one of Fred Marzan's designs with main slide on the
left hand, easy access to valve slides on top as well as bottom. It has had some really
outstanding special work by Bob Rusk, different lead pipe, old Holton or York LARGE MP
receiver, and the 5th valve. I purchased the tuba from a fellow in Chicago almost
three years ago after careful shopping for a perfect all-around CC to switch to (after
"playing" BBflat tubas for many years) and I bought it after a good recommendation
by Mr Jacobs before he passed on. It is satin silver, bright inside the bell.
I hate to see it go, as it really is a special instrument, but I also own a
Jacobs-model Holton and a B&S 4196 (PT4P) and this horn falls right in between these.
If you're shopping for a serious larger orchestral/band tuba about the size and scope of HB2P or MW 2155 but with a little more American/York flavor of sound, this may be for you.
It is not inexpensive. It is in California close to the San Jose International Airport.
Pro references to this tuba are available, and I will respond to private e-mails.
I will not respond to on-line posts.

It's a really nice one, when I bought it the fellow I bought it from made a point
to ask if I was tall, because the mouthpiece receiver is high on the horn,
(Mr. Rusk installed the 5th valve and fabricated the leadpipe) at ~ 27" from the bottom
arch. When I play it rests comfortably on my chair between my legs and the mouthpiece
is "right" there! The horn is 38" tall, 20" bell, .750 bore through all 5 valves.
The P.O. did the refinishing in satin silver at Allied about 15 years ago,
condition is fine, no dents but a ding here and there- customary wear you'd expect
for a 20-year-old horn. The silver plate is thinning where my left hand rests
on the top arch. I mention this because it doesn't really show from the angle
of the foto I posted. Valves are exceptional. Low notes are very good, intonation/scale
is excellent and this is a VERY free-blowing horn.

I remember when I was shopping for this tuba (even though I didn't know THIS
was the one at the time) I had questions that seemed to pop up over and
over...so feel free to write back if there's anything I've omitted or you've
thought of...

Follow Ups: