Re: Re: Music and joy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 26, 2000 at 17:04:04:

In Reply to: Re: Music and joy posted by Aubrey Foard on October 24, 2000 at 23:15:23:

I've played in a number of orchestras doing church duty, many of which included professional players to fill in gaps.

I'd have to agree with Joe, based on my own observations. The same musicians that play with obvious focus and intensity at the subscription concert were so afraid that someone might think they were religious that they did everything in their power to dissociate themselves with the effectiveness of the music. That is not professionalism--in fact--it is the opposite. I remember one listener coming up to me after an Easter concert, suggesting that the church should retire the folding chairs used by several professional violinists that day, so nobody would have to "sit in the seat of scoffers."

Granted, much church music is truly dreadful stuff--the worst form of sweatshop arranging. My worst musical experience in a church was when one "cantata", which had an extended quote from Handel's Messiah, morphed (without transition) into "How Great Thou Art," leaving the musicians in the audience falling out of the chairs from the contrast. But professionals would do their best to make it sound good, if they are really professionals.

Not all orchestral music is wonderful stuff, but a symphony pro would not earn good will from the other musicians or the maestro (or the audience) if they were visibly uninterested during its performance. What would happen to a tubist who yawned, rolled his eyes, shrugged, and sighed through the tuba-less expanses of, say, Dvorak's Ninth?

The best a non-religious musician should do in a church concert is provide the same level of performance as on the symphony stage. If the religiousness of the event offends them, then why did they accept the gig?

Rick "passion sells" Denney

Follow Ups: