Re: Re: Re: Re: Are orchestras dying?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on October 24, 2000 at 17:13:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Are orchestras dying? posted by Leland on October 24, 2000 at 15:08:06:

For the record, I am not an orchestral musician and I play in several anateur bands. And the euph is a wonderful instrument; I love playing one whenever I can get the chance.

I do however, love music, including band music. My comments were not intended as a slight toward band musicians, but rather as a commentary on how compartmentalized and insular our system of musical education is, particularly at the secondary school level. The fault I find is not with band or band teachers or even marching band (see, Leland? I can be broad-minded). But face, it, aside from the usual run of band selections, the closest the average secondary-school instrumentalist gets to orchestral music is the occasional excerpt arranged for band.

I don't need to even go into how little the average non-instrumental or vocal student is exposed to classical music, be it orchestral, chamber or band.

I hope this clarifies my position. The decline of band, orchestral, operatic and vocal music is all part of the same picture.

Follow Ups: