Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rex Martin vs Gene Pokorny

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 23, 2000 at 17:26:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rex Martin vs Gene Pokorny posted by Barry Guerrero on October 23, 2000 at 13:10:21:

In my middle age, where the sins of my youth are comfortably far enough away so that I can safely forget them, I would disagree with you and say that we all know (or should), even as students, that you don't ask elders to talk about their friends (or enemies). It ain't respectful.

But the honest man in me peeks out from time to time, and on this occasion reminds me that the reason my friend-who-knew was setting me straight about what actually happened at the Chicago audition was because I'd made some remark, based on incomplete rumors and half-baked speculation, that needed correction. Sigh. I am glad he didn't write me off, even though my own comment, as it turned out (I didn't know he'd been a finalist), was insulting to him.

That and other lessons are the reason why in my middle years I'm not so forgiving on the subject of rumors and gossip. It always does damage out of proportion to the value of the information. We should have learned that by about age ten.

Rick "still learning" Denney

Follow Ups: