Re: Conn 34J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob Perelli-Minetti on October 20, 2000 at 16:16:50:

In Reply to: Conn 34J posted by tubalew on October 20, 2000 at 10:19:06:

Hmm. Looking at the horn, the serial number and the date, I'm not sure it's a 34J.

The 34J most of us know is the Grand Orchestara BBb from the 1920s with 4 front action pistons and a fixed upright bell. (in CC it would be a 36J as the recent horn on e-bay was).

In the 1930s, the 2XJ series was introduced with short piston valves. In that series,
24J would be a 4 upright short action valve, forward bell instrument (per the 1957 catalong). A four upright valve upright bell horn would be a 25J (per the same catalog)

20J 3 upright short valves, detachable forward bell
21J 3 upright short valves, detachable upright bell
22J 3 front action short valves, detachable forward bell
23J 3 front action short valves, detachable upright bell
24J 4 upright short valves, detachable forward bell
25J 4 upright short valves, detachable upright bell
26J?4 front action short valves, detachable forward bell
27J?4 front action short vavles, detachable upright bell.

The horn in the piture on e-bay has a upright valves and a detachable upright bell. The valves appear to be long action (such as those in a 14K sousaphone or an old pre 2XJ series Conn) because they are too narrow for short valves and from the photo the ports to not look squat and oval where the branches join the valves.

The valve caps do look like regular (not short) Conn valves.

Is the number 34J on the bell collar? That would be disposative.

I thought it might be a Martin with a Conn bell, but the Martin upright action horns branches are different (don't go up from the vavles the way the ones on this Conn do, only go down).

Was there in the early 50's a four upright long action valve horn with upright bell numbered 34J? I don't know.

An unusual horn.

Follow Ups: