Re: Re: Re: Wierd time signature composers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on October 17, 2000 at 08:43:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Wierd time signature composers posted by Leland on October 17, 2000 at 01:11:15:

This really brings back memories. Ellis used to come to a college near me a couple of times a year, and though I never got to study or work with him many of my friends a year or two older, and the jazz band director, had spent a lot of time with him, and we played a lot of his music. I remember being blown away the first time we played some of these things, but you are right -- there is eventually a 'blinding light' when you suddenly get it. In my mind I almost think of these as subdivided, the way we would subdivide a 4/4 bar into quarter notes, and quarter notes into eighth notes, but of course when you have 2-2-2-3 the last subdivision is a beat (or half beat) longer. And I don't know how I didn't think about 'Take Five'.

Your mention of folk music in 'odd' rythms reminds me of the story of a drummer who was frustrated trying to make a living. A friend told him that drummers made a fortune in Saudi Arabia, and he should go there. "Look up my old friend Ahmed at the marketplace." So, the drummer bought a plane ticket and headed for Saudi. He got to the marketplace, and found Ahmed. Ahmed was thrilled to see him, as his drummer had just quit. "Be back here, ready to play at 7:00 Ahmed said, then he disappeared into the crowd. Well, the drummer shows up early, at 6:00, hoping to rehearse or at least find out what they're playing, but Ahmed and the rest of the boys don't show up until the stroke of 7:00. They appear from the crowd, instruments in hand, ready to play. Before the drummer can say anything, Ahmed turns to him, arm raised to kick off the tempo, and says, "give me a medium fast 47, and be sure to give me bass drum on 15, 23 and 36."

Follow Ups: