Re: Kurath

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Martin on October 12, 2000 at 17:24:47:

In Reply to: Kurath posted by SD on October 09, 2000 at 12:10:18:

I own a Kurath F that is about 4 years old (I don't know exactly, because I bought it used), and I can't say enough good things about mine. If you are used to a smaller F, i.e an older Mirafone, Yamaha whatever-it-is-that-isn't-the-822, etc, you probably won't care for it very much. Folks, it is a big F tuba. I think it has a great sound, and if I were to compare the way it plays to other F horns on the market, I would probably equate it to the Yamaha 822, or the larger B&S F tuba, both of which I was also looking at. You'll find these instruments have a wonderful low register and a pretty dark sound throughout the registers. If I were to guess, I would say that the dark sound has a great deal to do with the weight of the horn (slightly more than the school-owned Hirsbrunner CC that I use) As far as the high stuff is concerned, it is really pretty easy to get around up there, too. Intonation problems on mine are scarce, just a few minor adjustmetns are necessary when playing.

Caveat: I go to the University of Georgia and studied under David Randolph for a great deal of my high school development as well as my college studies, until his death in January of this year. Dr. Randolph owned a Kurath as well, and swore by them (the school now owns two, a Kurath that is about 6 years old and a Wilson bought a year and a half ago..for all intents and purposes, the same horn), so my judgement may be somewhat biased. Nonetheless, I did play on a number of different horns, and felt that the Kurath was best for me. I think they are great horns, but as always, your mileage may vary.

Martin

Follow Ups: