Re: Shifting from tuba to tuba and tuning

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on October 11, 2000 at 23:28:32:

In Reply to: Shifting from tuba to tuba and tuning posted by Joe S. No.2 on October 11, 2000 at 22:56:57:

Since I post wa-a-a-y too often, I might as well comment on this.

I personally believe that you have quite a struggle in front of you:

Two instruments in the same key (right?) that are both relatively big (one "big" and one "big-big") that have diametrically opposed problems on the SAME note.

Playing a BBb very seldom but sometimes (maybe a sousa for a few minutes), a couple reasonably-in-tune CC's (about as in-tune as Miraphones, etc.), a very in tune F, and (on less rare occasions than BBb sousaphones) sometimes an Eb helicon with typical (but minor) Eb tuba intonation problems (same-old somewhat flat 2nd and 8th partials), I would have to say that playing all of these DIFFERENT tubas doesn't present much of a struggle for me as (I would think) playing two fairly SIMILAR and SAME-KEYED tubas with such opposite and major basic struggles.

I suppose if I loved both of those tubas enough, I would spend whatever time was required to hopefully be able to quickly adapt from one's problems to the other's. I think what occurs to me is that the basic stimuli (two large BBb tubas) aren't different enough to "automatically" trigger certain playing habits which involve big adjustments in opposite directions. I don't envy your situation. In my situation, the tubas that I have around me either play so well in tune that I can almost be "lazy" about it (the F, for instance), or they are so unique (the 4-valve Eb helicon, for instance) that they grab my attention enough every time that I pick them up to stimulate me to respond to their specific problems as I remember that I had to do in the past. <-(Wow, what a bunch of psycho-babble. ' makes no sense whatsoever, does it?) Hopefully, you can find a "hook" (ie: stimulus) that will trigger your mind to "automatically" respond to each instrument in the way you need to withOUT having to do much "thinking about it".

' no solution here, but sympathy for your stuggles,

-Joe S. #?

Follow Ups: