Re: Weril CC Tuba 681L

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on October 11, 2000 at 07:35:17:

In Reply to: Weril CC Tuba 681L posted by Horace on October 10, 2000 at 23:49:12:

I have just purchased a Weril 680S from David Fedderly, at Baltimore Brass Company. I bought it for my studio horn since I have had it fall my lot to teach some fairly small
students. The schools here don't know about EEb tubas so I get little kids trying to handle big horns and the attendant disasters. The Weril is a good compromise solution.
I bought a Silver plated horn since I prefer that to lacquer for longevity. If there is a skimping on anything in horn manufacture it tends to be lacquer finish. The silver finish on the horn is quite good although the preparation was probably hasty.

The horn has an interesting valve manufacture; the valve guides are not on the piston but instead, on a nylon disk which is held in place on the piston by a small rod. You can not replace the valve cap until the nylon disk is in the correct alignment. This should be much less expensive to the manufacturer since the assembly is much simpler than the conventional guide attached to the valve set-up.

This is a small horn and so works well for my students. Even the larger kids like it and choose to play it over my Hirsbruner HB4C. Most of them are able to hold it in their laps and get a proper approach to the mouthpiece. I have played it for several hours last week. It is a respectible horn, with a warm tone and pretty fair valve action. My wife can tell the difference between my playing on the Weril from my playing on my Willson EEb but they are just different to her, not bad and good.

I tried several mouthpieces on the horn, even the one it came with (no Manufacturer name, just the number "25"). I think my Bobo Solo plays it very well as did a Yamaha 67C4 and one or two other "shalliw" mouthpieces. Imagine my surprise when I tried an old King 26 and found a rich, warm tone and great response. I also tried my Conn 2 (good) and several other larger mouthpieces (not soo good). Go figure.

It has one interesting peculiarity. While the horn has strap loops, there is no provision for a lyre.

I like the horn and it is perfect for my use of it.

Let me say what a pleasure it was dealing with the Baltimore Brass Company and David Fedderly. He was fast and precise and went out of his way to get the tuba to me and at the same price offered to me by another supplier who neglected to ship the horn after I authorized a charge on my credit card. David jumped in and got the whole thing done in three days. He gets my "good guy" award for September. Thanks, David.

Follow Ups: