Re: Vaughan Williams Concerto

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John on October 10, 2000 at 15:37:00:

In Reply to: Vaughan Williams Concerto posted by Justin Beish on October 09, 2000 at 19:54:32:

I believe that finding a "quick fix" is the wrong way. You'll develop bad habits, along with other bad things. As mentioned... leave it out. It's much more admirable to hear it player correctly, than to hear a player miss or chip that Ab. If you do go for it, try not to nail it. Often, putting too much emphasis on one single note will cause you to miss it every time. In other words.. don't syke yourself out. Joe's advice is quite sound, in reading and playing more and more in that register. This is really the only thing that will get your lips used to playing up there. Not everyone's chops develop up there at first. I also recommend lots of low playing. For me.. it seemed that as my low register got more solid, so did my high. Don't focus too much on high, because you risk pulling a muscle, or something. Try reading rochut etudes where written, the pull out your snedecor book, and play those. Or read the same rochut down two octaves. This is no quick fix, but will improve your tone quality, and reliability of those notes. It will also build a solid low register :) Good luck!

Follow Ups: