Re: old tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason Griffith on October 07, 2000 at 01:25:47:

In Reply to: old tuba posted by Linda on October 06, 2000 at 19:41:54:

I am a Graduate Student in euphonium at Ohio, formerly called Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. Actually, there is an ongoing legal battle in this state for the use of the name "Ohio" in collegiate titles. Both the college "formerly known as Ohio University" and The Ohio State University claim to have the trademark for it, but that is a different story altogether....

To my understanding, some of the old horns that the marching band members used had "OHIO" on them. Since 1967, Gene Thrailkill (who recently retired at Oklahoma University) and the beginning of the Marching 110, many of those instruments now have a 110 logo (even though the group has over 200 members, by tradition they still call it "The Marching 110 of Ohio"). As a side note, you can see the Ohio/Ohio University Marching 110 in the Macy's Parade on Thanksgiving Day.

On Monday, I can ask Rick Seiter (our full-time repair person at the university) about your tuba, and if he has seen any like it with an "Ohio" on it. If it is an Ohio University horn, I am sure that there are close up group pictures of the horn in the library that would provide great historical verification for this old horn. Seems really interesting....I will try to let you know on Monday...Good Luck!!!

Follow Ups: