Re: Professional Orchestral Tubist Question:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Haddad on October 02, 2000 at 17:38:12:

In Reply to: Professional Orchestral Tubist Question: posted by Eefer Owner on October 02, 2000 at 16:51:06:

In the last twenty or so years of playing in orchestras, including a six year stint as principle of the El Paso Symphony as well as Opera, oratorio (Brahms, Verdi, Durufle), and pickup jobs, I have NEVER had a conductor ask me about the key of my instrument. Some jobs I played on a Meinl-Weston Bell model CC, others on a Besson 981 Eb. I have used the Besson in may cases where a CC would normally be used, because I felt it the more appropriate instrument for the job. I had only one experience with the Symphony conductor asking me to "bring the small horn" to play an overture - he obviously looking for a more compact sound. The point of this ramble is two-fold: 1)Conductors are usually looking for a sound, not a horn. If you make the sound they want, they could care less what you play, and 2)Conductors for the most part are completely willing to let you make the decision on what equipment you use, as long as you are tasteful and musical and in tune. My strong opinion is that the Besson would serve you well in an orchestral situation. It is a fine instrument with a very resonant sound. I also play CC and Eb, and I do think there is enough difference between the horns to make having both an advantage. I cannot imagine a professional conductor castigating you for the key of your instrument. I would be interesting to have Jay Bertolet weigh-in on this, as he also plays CC and Eb in a professional orchestra.

Follow Ups: