Re: Embouchure Dystonia

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Me Too! on October 02, 2000 at 15:55:16:

In Reply to: Embouchure Dystonia posted by reb stivender on October 01, 2000 at 22:09:51:

I also had a bout with this kind of malady. The symptom was an involuntary, quivering of the embouchure, usually on long tones. It happened once completely out of the blue, and then it started to appear more frequently.

At the time I was not practicing very much, just attending weekly rehearsals of a couple of community ensembles. I reasoned that perhaps my chops were weakening, and that was why I couldn't control the muscles.

My self-perscription for this was to start practicing again, primarily doing the Rochut Book 1, playing in the written octave. It didn't always sound great up there, but it was a work out for the chops, and unlike Lazarus' situation with long tones, the Rochut exercises promote flexibilty along with the sustained tones.

I have not had the problem surface again since shortly after I started this regime (knock on wood...).

I hope you are also able to solve you problem.....I remember how frustrating it was for me! Let us know how you make out.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Follow Ups: