Re: Life in tubadom

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRTapes on October 28, 1999 at 10:39:46:

In Reply to: Life in tubadom posted by Daryl on October 27, 1999 at 21:30:38:

Very interesting post. I attended the Conservatory of Music at Wheaton College in Wheaton, IL in the late 80's. Doug Yeo graduated from the same school a few years earlier than I. After 4 years, and 8 semesters of required recitals,(one semester I went to 40 or so), a group of us were sitting around debating whether we thought any of us would make it professionally in music. I rendered an opinion that of everyone I had heard, a couple of hundred students in 4 years, there were 2 people I thought were gifted enough to make it, and maybe 2-3 that might make it because of their diligence. (One guy was a good player, but he practiced more than anyone, and with that work ethic, he might make it.) But those other two, while they practiced too, you could see they had "it", whatever "it" is. The one girl I know is singing professional opera today. I'm not sure about the others, but I'm sure they would be featured in the alumni magazine if they were making it.

I myself am working in music today. After college I did a variety of things, including working for the post office, in insurance, in manufacturing, and now finally in music. I even taught a couple of beginning piano students along the way. Today I work in a music department, selling sheet music over the phone. I love the job, and I love helping other musicians. I've been paid for playing a couple of times, but mostly I play for fun and amusement. To me, music is a gift to give to others.

I would never discourage someone from following a dream. As has been pointed out, the jobs are few and far between. But the enjoyment, whether for money or not, goes on and on.

Follow Ups: