Re: Switching from F to F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on October 12, 1999 at 20:22:10:

In Reply to: Switching from F to F posted by Dan on October 12, 1999 at 15:39:41:

This really is a sticky question because, as you correctly pointed out, I don't know how adept you are as a player or at evaluating the equipment you use. I've seen many players go through the same process with mouthpieces which is, of course, a much less expensive habit or mistake to make. Ultimately, you will have to make the decision based on what works for you but I would definitely seek out as many quality opinions as I could if I were you. In your evaluation, try to keep a clear idea of what you're trying to accomplish with the tuba. This way, you can clearly decide if it is what you want/need. Don't discount how you feel about any tuba since playing is such a mental endeavor and confidence in equipment can sometimes make the difference. Don't hesitate to switch because of the time you've invested to date. It takes years to really learn a tuba and it isn't prohibitive to switch after only a few months. Keep in mind the long term and where you'll be in 10, 20, or even 30 years and decide if the tuba will be useful for such a span. Rarely will you find a tuba that is everything you ever wanted so, if I were you, I would err on the cautious side and pick the tuba you feel will be the most versatile. Aside from such common sense issues, don't forget that the sound is the thing! Don't buy an instrument which has a sound you're not absolutely in love with. Most everything else can be fixed but sound is the magic you must create. Choose the right tool...

Follow Ups: