tubists

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on October 09, 1999 at 04:15:00:

Well, years ago I studied with Floyd Cooley, and Tommy Johnson. Both men are monster players, but they taught complete opposite style, technique, tone quality, etc. However, I'd like to talk about a crazy englishman (from York) I once knew named David Grosvenor.
He played on a Besson EE-flat (the smaller one) with a tiny, tiny e-flat tuba mouthpiece.
He was (and probably still is) a great soloist with an amazing, gorgeous high register. His sound was like a gentle, velvet fog. But he could really get around as well. One time, he played the Bach b-minor flute sonata in a recital - the whole thing! David also did the most amazing arrangements for large brass ensemble. He transcribe movements from Bach's B-minor Mass; Handel's Messiah; etc. I worked with him at the most unlikely place -
Cal. State Univ. Chico (yes, the infamous party school). He used to do real estate in northern California. He has since moved back to Yorkshire. There may be some people out there who knew him from his days at Univ. of Oregon, Eugene.

Follow Ups: