Re: Pictures at an Exhibition, Bydlo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Lloyd on October 08, 1999 at 20:08:21:

In Reply to: Pictures at an Exhibition, Bydlo posted by Dan Crain on October 07, 1999 at 19:45:36:

I'm working on Pictures now in an orchestra I play in. Unless I get a treble clef G# in the next month I'm going to hand of the Bydlo to a Euphonium. I"ve seen Professional players give the solo up so it's no big shame. You need to be able play full bodied G# repeatedly over a long stretch, otherwise you are doing nobody a favor by trying to pull it off. There is no room for almost making it in the Bydlo. If you have a solid high range I would play it on whatever horn you feel most confident with.

Otherwise, the rest of Pictures has plenty of challenges that would be a big deal in any other piece if the Bydlo wasn't such a looming presence. Much of it is deceptively simple except that Ravel wrote the harmonies in in such a way that the tuba stands out in the loudest Tutti passages, especially at the end. You need to know how loud you can go and still keep a full sonorous sound, though I guess that problem exists with half the repetoire.

Follow Ups: