Re: Re: Besson Prestige Trigger

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by not quite on November 29, 2003 at 09:46:05:

In Reply to: Re: Besson Prestige Trigger posted by Well... on November 29, 2003 at 01:16:32:

Actually, based on my play test of the prestige, I found some notes to be so incredibly sharp that, even if I could lip them "in tune", they sounded like ass. I think the idea of the enginering of this instrument is that there are no flat notes, only sharp, and thus the trigger kicks the slide out for you, but it's not a setup that can go "either way." I couldn't find a way to kick the trigger on fast licks, and despite the general thought that you won't notice being sharp as hell on fast passages, I certainly did, and would never buy one of these instruments.

In addition, the position of the third valve slide (also where you activate the trigger from) is such that if you don't have huge hands, it's a pretty uncomfortable reach for the 4th valve. I had a student who ended up with some hand troubles and as a result unloaded his prestige for something else.

I stick with Willson, Hursbrunner or Yahama all of which have some dodgy notes, but none that are so bad they require a mechanical device to correct.

In my opinion, Besson should spend time making a better overall instrument, rather than a gimmick.

Follow Ups: