FWIW MaryAnn Re:recording setup

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ben on November 26, 2003 at 10:40:24:

A while ago I asked about your recording setup, and I did a test last night at a store that had a few nice mics, alongside my own. Heres what I found.

My Sony ECM-MS957 (stereo condenser with flat responce 50-20K Hz) direct into my Sony MD recorder (N-10) was standard quality to what I've seen, When I compared 2 of my horns, the one with more resonance actually had less presence on the recording, which is contrary to the way I hear in in RL.

I tried a NT2 Rode mic with a solidstate preamp (Rolls MP-13 phantom power/preamp) with the Minidisc setup, and the change in results was phenomenal. The clarity improvement was very clear, and the deapth of sound was return, and it sounded very close to what I hear in RL.

I tried a third combination keeping the preamp, and using the Shure KSM27 condenser mic, and the MD, found that the recording was similar to the rode, but lacked the presence and depth that the rode had. Its hard to describe the differences, but they were all obvious upon listening to the recording.

I still have one more experiment to run, and that is recording directly to the computer with the 2 mics. I imagine that it will more correctly cement the differences for me in hearing the compression the MD recorder vs direct unalterd digital capture. I've already bought the Rode NT-2 and preamp. I didn't try the Bluetooth you talked about, but they sales rep shyed away from that for the following reason. He seemed to think the solid state was going to be the cleanest, "purest" sound, and that he considered the tube preamp a "destination" in sound, and if that sound is desired, it can be added in post production. I've got the software that can do that to sound already, so I may play with it later.

Just some observations.
Ben

Follow Ups: