Re: Re: Re: "Mira 1291 Bb" Vs. "Any Top Rated Tuba"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 24, 2003 at 12:37:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: "Mira 1291 Bb" Vs. "Any Top Rated Tuba" posted by So on November 24, 2003 at 04:25:17:

It doesn't seem to be related to size, at least not primarily to size.

I've played a number of the new Kings, and the best ones are quite playable. Some of the early ones I tried out have been stuffy in the low register when using the fourth valve.

Miraphone 186's are among the most playable of any BBb tubas, which I think is a big part of their time-tested popularity. My particular Holton also has loads of playability. With the same basic air range, I can play it considerably louder than the Miraphone 186, and also noticeably softer. The York Master isn't as playable as the Holton, but it's pretty good. Of course, finding a good Holton isn't easy.

I've played the VMI 3301, the Willson 3100, and even the Jupiter 582. All are competent, and some remarkable in some ways, but none of them glowed in the dark in the playability department.

Of course, playability can be limited for a variety of reasons, and each horn that hasn't seemed so playable to me has missed for different reasons. For example, the Willson provides little feedback to player, while the 3301 didn't seem all that resonant.

I've never played a Fafner, but I'd love to try one out. I wonder if it is like big Rudy Meinls (and Alexanders) in that it will do anything you ask of it, but you have to do the asking. I like horns that say, "Okay, now I know what you want, and I'll do the rest." The former might be capable of more versatility and more effects, but amateurs are usually less interested in versatility (doing several things well) and more interested in doing one thing well.

Rick "who thinks a Gronitz PBK might be in the running if it's like the descriptions of the PCK" Denney

Follow Ups: