Re: "Mira 1291 Bb" Vs. "Any Top Rated Tuba"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on November 22, 2003 at 22:37:38:

In Reply to: "Mira 1291 Bb" Vs. "Any Top Rated Tuba" posted by Ignorant guy on November 22, 2003 at 21:12:51:

I have a few thoughts on the 1291, but not really in a "versus other top rated tubas" sort of way. The 1291 is a huge success for Miraphone in virtually all of the categories you mentioned.

I play regularly with a fine tubist who uses the 1291 as his sole horn. I play with him in British Brass Band and a Tuba Quartet. We also play duets on occassion, and I've heard him play more than a few orchestral exerpts (the tough ones, too) and technical exercises as we screw around with various mouthpieces, etc. I've heard it in all sorts of different rooms, from those as small as a living room to as large as a 1200+ seat sanctuary. I've heard it sound amazing on high, traditional F tuba parts, and I've heard it sound amazing on the very low passages, classical to blues and jazz. In the process, I've blown my share of notes on it.

My view is that the 1291 is one of the best tubas available. Ergonomics are my personal favorite of anything I've played. As to intonation, response, colour, and other playing characteristics...well...it's the kind of tuba that leaves the player with virtually no excuses. If you don't sound incredible on one of these..."it ain't the horn". One word of caution, it does use it's share of air.

But, none of that means it's the right horn for you...or for someone else. Nor does it mean that it's the best horn in any given category, or even overall. For example, I see value is on your list, and if by that you mean bang for the buck, a good (hand picked) new model King 2341 is tough to beat. I'm sure folks could name another horn that matches or exceeds the 1291 in any of the categories. But taken as a whole, as Tony Clements recently posted, "it's a FANTASTIC tuba". The real question is "what do you think of it?"

Tony E

Follow Ups: