Re: Re: college scholorships

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by It's already late! on November 20, 2003 at 19:17:52:

In Reply to: Re: college scholorships posted by can they... on November 19, 2003 at 08:35:24:

As a junior, you are already behind in the college search process.

In your junior year you should be identifying the schools to which you want to apply -- and are likely to be a viable candidate at -- and going to those schools to visit, take a lesson from the likely instructor you would have as a student, and check out the available financial aid, both need based (which is what most people end up with) and merit based. Merit based would include talent scholarships for music and acting, as well as any purely academic scholarships (grades, SAT/ACT scores, National Merit, etc.) you can get.

Most of the major music and drama schools attended performing arts college fairs around the country in October, which was a great chance to meet an admissions officer and learn things that might not be in the catalogs. Also, it was a great way to learn about schools you might not otherwise have considered.

We went to the fair in New York in early October with my junior trumpet player daughter and found it an excellent experience. We came away with good contacts at the half dozen or so schools that were at the top of my daughter's list, and detailed information about several more schools. Through the fair, we learned about several schools we hadn't previously considered, move some schools up on her list and some down. Definitely worth the time.

Based on our research at the fair and otherwise, we've begun planning our winter break and spring break trips to schools. Were in the NYC area, so those schools and conservatories are local. One trip will be the Boston area schools and conservatories, and one will be a real road trip swinging through Philadephia, Maryland, Tennessee, Indiana and Ohio.

Coordinating all of this is not easy, between high school vacations, college breaks, teacher availabilty, weather, etc. I would suggest you get working with your parents to identify the schools you're viable and and interested in now.

Good Luck.

Follow Ups: