Re: Re: Re: When did you buy yours?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave M. on November 19, 2003 at 20:58:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: When did you buy yours? posted by frank on November 19, 2003 at 12:07:41:

I bought my first tuba in 1958 or so. It was a Wurlitzer Professional..no serial number. On the valves, the numbers stamped are: 40 41 42. That's all. Czechoslovakia is stamped on the leadpipe...(yep..tiny letters!)
I paid $147.50 for it...it was sitting in the dark corner of a music store..no case. I paid $10 a month for a good portion of my life for it. My HS band director wouldn't allow it in concerts..only in rehearsal. He called it a "garbage can"...I wasn't offended...just amused. I took it to college...my tuba instructor wouldn't allow me to play it for jury..but I did in defiance...he sank in his chair when I came out on the stage with it...but I eked out a good grade, anyway.
My "Good Horn", as my trad jazz buddies call it, is a King Recording Bass. It is a bell-front, BBb, 5 valve, jewel. It is reputed to be a famous horn, but I have no doc on that...the best friend I bought it from is deceased. This silver jewel came with a Schilke mouthpiece...no numbers..just Schilke stamped on it..looks like a funnel. I love it. It weighs about 39 pounds, so I just take it on sit-down gigs. It was made about 1925-30, according to serial numbers. My wife will have to dispose of it on my demise..I've never sold a musical instrument.

Dave M.

Follow Ups: